An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kawasaki Concours 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy A sway bar won't stop the air Very Happy
gregbenner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am new here, have a Ural Retro and a dual sport sc rig. I have been talking with David Hannigan re a HPSC rig using the ZX 14. I have never benn real comfortable on sport bikes (I ride a 1200 GS mostly), so was quite intereted in the new Connie.

One think which interested quite a bit was that I thought I read that the Connie''s engine is substantially retune (variable valve timing, etc) for low and mid range torque. i have not ridden the ZX14, but many of the road tests indicate it is pretty flat below 5-6000 rpm.

Wouldn't a more low and mid range be a pretty desirable trait?

greg
zentime

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregbenner wrote:
i have not ridden the ZX14, but many of the road tests indicate it is pretty flat below 5-6000 rpm.

Wouldn't a more low and mid range be a pretty desirable trait?

greg

I had also read and heard that the ZX14 was pretty "flat" below 5-600 rpm and was concerned how it would be as a sidecar bike. Sure low end and midrange is a plus with sidecars but after haven driven one about 150 miles without a sidecar on it, I don't feel like power is an issue anywhere with the ZX14. IMHO, the low end and mid range of this 186 hp motorcycle is probably more than adequate for most mortals.......unless drag racing is your thing. Then I suppose you'd could want for more. If someone was used to something in the 100 to 150 hp range, I don't think they would be disappointed with the low end and mid range of the ZX14. I'm sure a ZX14 rig will be very well manered for casual riding but with a six speed gearbox, 186 hp and a redline of around 11k, it's not going to be real hard to entertain yourself at any speed. In terms of performance, one is more likely to reach their personal limitations way before before any ZX 14 limitations. Smile
Dar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregbenner wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new here, have a Ural Retro and a dual sport sc rig. I have been talking with David Hannigan re a HPSC rig using the ZX 14. I have never benn real comfortable on sport bikes (I ride a 1200 GS mostly), so was quite intereted in the new Connie.

Hi Greg,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm curious about your dual sport sc rig. Is it on a BMW GS? (I've been riding an 1100GS for 12 years and 100k + miles myself.) What is your sidecar, and how is the front end set up? Stock Telelever, modified Telelever, or something completely different?

A little over a year ago, I was looking for my first sidecar, and talking to Dave Hannigan myself. He told me he didn't like putting sidecars onto GS's at all, the long travel suspension not giving the best handling when adding a sidecar. And I was intrigued by the front end on his Bandito, so that's what I ended up getting, and have been very happy with it for a year and 8k miles now. If you're talking about just physical comfort when riding, I agree with your comment on sportbikes. My knees and back don't allow me to ride a real sportbike for more than a little while anymore. The Bandit has a pretty comfortable riding position, all day in the saddle is not a problem.
gregbenner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dar"]
gregbenner wrote:
Hi Greg,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm curious about your dual sport sc rig. Is it on a BMW GS? (I've been riding an 1100GS for 12 years and 100k + miles myself.) What is your sidecar, and how is the front end set up? Stock Telelever, modified Telelever, or something completely different?

A little over a year ago, I was looking for my first sidecar, and talking to Dave Hannigan myself. He told me he didn't like putting sidecars onto GS's at all, the long travel suspension not giving the best handling when adding a sidecar. And I was intrigued by the front end on his Bandito, so that's what I ended up getting, and have been very happy with it for a year and 8k miles now. If you're talking about just physical comfort when riding, I agree with your comment on sportbikes. My knees and back don't allow me to ride a real sportbike for more than a little while anymore. The Bandit has a pretty comfortable riding position, all day in the saddle is not a problem.

Dar, I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will post a mew thread on the intro forum.

regards, greg
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregbenner wrote:
i have not ridden the ZX14, but many of the road tests indicate it is pretty flat below 5-6000 rpm.

The redline is 11K.... so who's going to be lugging the motor at 5K??

If you're not bouncing off the rev limiter, shift down!! Big Grin
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
gregbenner wrote:

The redline is 11K.... so who's going to be lugging the motor at 5K??

If you're not bouncing off the rev limiter, shift down!! Big Grin

Well, just untill it's broke in.
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
Dar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a different thread,
bmcsheehy wrote:
....The season is pretty much over now, for me anyway.

With that Concours fairing, you wouldn't have to stop riding so early in the season. Very Happy
alcatrazhack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post in YEARS...

Anyway, regardless of what people think of the Connie 14, I'd like to know SHOULD someone indeed set up an outfit like that, what is the effect on driving style and setup since it has ABS?
Garelli Monza GT
Kenna Sidecar (Project)

Have Pole, Will Crash
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ridden a BMW conversion with ABS, it has no effect on the rig at all.
It stops as expected. I do not think you really do not need it on a sidecar rig.
The Concours, I believe comes with and with out ABS.
Also, I believe that the Concours 14 conversion that Hannigan will be offering does not support the ABS version.
But you never know…
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
docmike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what is the effect on driving style and setup since it has ABS?

Very little if any, I originally had ABS on the EML, the only times it ever triggered was when I did it on purpose just to see what would happen. When I upgraded to the CHS front end I removed the ABS and don't miss it at all so far. (so now watch me wreck on the way home because I locked the front brake )

Mike
alcatrazhack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about drifting (right or left), and stunts (donuts, etc.)?
If I drag my front brake while turning, attempt to achieve drift, will the ABS react?
Garelli Monza GT
Kenna Sidecar (Project)

Have Pole, Will Crash
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
docmike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometinmes when I would drift the rear end the ABS would fault and quit working until reset
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alcatrazhack wrote:
But what about drifting (right or left), and stunts (donuts, etc.)?
If I drag my front brake while turning, attempt to achieve drift, will the ABS react?

That depends on the ABS system. The first-generation BMW ABS would never trigger unless absolutely necessary; basically it came on only if the wheel stopped. In five years I only remember it coming on once unexpectedly. Dragging a brake would be no problem. (Although I'd highly recommend dragging the rear brake in a turn).

The second generation BMW ABS, however, came on all the time. Very intrusive. That system would prevent you from doing anything unusual at all - you couldn't even chirp the front tyre during braking.

If you were setting up a bike for stunts, though, I don't think you'd want any sort of ABS at all - or at least install an on/off switch for it. (BMW GS motorcycles came with a disable switch on the bars; for most others, pulling the ABS fuse would work just fine).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: