An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docmike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Brake lines Reply with quote

On the K11RS / EML right now I'm running two lines from the front brake master cylinder, one goes direct to one front caliper, the second splits and goes to both the one sidecar caliper and to the other front caliper.

The problem is the double banjo bolt with two fittngs on the master cylinder comes mighty close to the tank (this is engineering close, where if I half the distance everytime I'll get there, or at least close enough to do damage, as opposed to physics close where if I half the distance everythime I'll never get there, no dings in the tank, life is good.) If I move the bars or cylinder the resovoir fits the fairing.

So I'm thinking of going to a single line form the mastercylinder splitting between front and back, thenusing a double banjo bolt and short line to connect between the two front calipers.

I'm wondering about that many calipers and only one line from the master cylinder, or am I worrying to much. Or am I missing something other reason why I shouldn't do it like that?

Question

Thanks

Mike
Ralph

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one goes direct to one front caliper, the second splits and goes to both the one sidecar caliper and to the other front caliper.

Screw that. Try both front calibers to the front brake and split the rear up to the sidecar. But what the hell do I know Very Happy
docmike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying two calipers on the sidecar wheel, one hooked to the front and one to the back. Just to see how it works.
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Ralph

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy well it is your thing you wash it as hard as you wish Very Happy Butyou realy need to---- never mind Very Happy
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it through your head. Poke
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
JayBoy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well it is your thing you wash it as hard as you wish Butyou realy need to---- never mind

Laughing I've heard that before! Laughing My experience is that while it may seem that hooking one of the front calipers to something else sounds good in "theory"......it really works better when you have MAXIMUM front brake when you squeeze the front lever. That's my opinion. Got NOS?
normpottruff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day,
On my FJ1200/Hannigan outfit I've replaced the front brake master cylinder with one from a ZX1200 and plumbed both front calipers as well as the rear caliper all to the front lever. The sidecar brake is the only brake being operated by the original rear brake pedal.
Regards,
Norm
4t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I Think you should refer to Ralph's second reply in this instance! Question

4t
Dar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

normpottruff wrote:
... On my FJ1200/Hannigan outfit I've replaced the front brake master cylinder with one from a ZX1200 and plumbed both front calipers as well as the rear caliper all to the front lever.

I assume you made master cylinder change due to a larger diameter/larger volume. That certainly is a reasonable thing to do if connecting more brake cylinders to the same master, so you don't run out of lever travel. How does this setup work, compared to any other configurations you may have tried?

Getting back to Docmike's original question - it sounds like you are concerned more about running one line from the master cylinder and splitting it into several lines someplace downstream - are you worrying about the volume of fluid flowing through the one line? I would guess that to be a non-issue, we're not talking about moving large volumes of liquid. I've had several (2 wheel) bikes with only 1 line from the master cylinder which is then split close to the front wheel with either a T in the line, or going into a junction block which feeds the 2 front lines and a hydraulic brakelight switch. Admittedly, only a 1 to 2 split in these cases, but, unless you run out of brake lever travel, I'm guessing you'd be OK with just one line from the master, split up downstream someplace. (too bad the Beemers, with the switches and all integrated into the brake housing, don't make swapping the master cylinder like Norm did, easier) Let us know how you like the setup with sidecar braking from either the hand or foot brake.

Dar
normpottruff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, I needed the extra volume offered by ZX master cylinder. (The FJ master didn't go to waste though, it wound up operating the front brake on my kneeler.) Even with two front calipers and one rear being operated by the ZX master cylinder I still have good lever travel. I ran steel automotive brake line most of the way back to the rear caliper in order to minimize pressure loss from hose expansion. It all works very well for me. I didn't need to add a proportioning valve. On my other sidecar outfits I have usually stayed with the factory arrangement on the bike and then built a separate brake pedal to operate the sidecar brake. That works fine too but I like the way I can operate the sidecar and motorcycle brakes completely separately on the FJ. It allows me the option of having full braking on the motorcycle without invoking the sidecar brake or vice versa. The whole thing started when my FJ rear master died on me and rather than replacing or rebuilding it I thought I would take advantage of the opportunity to try something different which worked out so well that I've stayed with it.
Ralph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy If you are out for a putt it don't matter where the hell you hook them up hehe sorta like shocks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: