An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hannigan Wheel Bearings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Hannigan Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Is anybody out there aware of any particular problems with the wheel bearings on Hannigan sidecars? I have noticed my rear/sidecar brake pedal getting sloppy lately, and upon investigation I discovered tonight that the sidecar wheel has a lot of play/wobble that shouldn't be there. Theres's a total of 16k miles on the bike, I've put about 8.5k on since I got the rig, not sure when the Bandito sidecar was put on. But still, seems like way too early for wheel bearings to be going.
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact details of how that part is done but I think there are tapered roller bearing at the wheel and pivot. You might check the nuts to see if you could take up any play there. Other than that, call Hannigan on Monday and check with them.
Dar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: It's NOT the bearings Reply with quote

Upon further investigation - I actually got in and started taking things apart tonight - the problem wasn't with the bearings, but rather the nut that holds the wheel hub onto the axle had loosened a bit, allowing a little bit of play. Snugged it up, redid the tabs on the lock washer, and it seems to be OK. Now that I'm thinking some more about it, I think I'll go back out in the morning and put a few drops of LocTite on it, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: