An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bandito lust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Bandito lust Reply with quote

Having just replaced the starter on my GL1100/EML, and noticed Yet Another Crack in a wheel, I find my thoughts drifting to other, less 23-year-old rigs. Of course, first on my list right now is the Bandito. It's that that excellent combination of low cost and Stuff that just keeps drawing me back.

I could find a good, hefty bike and put together a rig, but I have no workspace, and then I'd just have another bike with a lump on the side of it. I could try to find a nice used rig, but I'm pretty likely to get another lump-enabled motorcycle and not a lovely HPS rig.

*sigh* If only I had $21k just burning a hole in my pocket. I know, what a terrible plight I'm in... Rolling Eyes
JayBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be the best money you ever spent! Big Grin
IanJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Probably true Reply with quote

Reading this forum has done wonders for my opinion of sidecars and what constitutes a good sidecar. I mean, don't get me wrong, my GL/EML is a good rig. But it's definitely no HPS. Great starter rig, but now I'd like something that can actually steer through a corner (leading link + flat profile tires plus 28 degrees of rake == not much traction while turning). I'd really like something that's not a collection of problems ready to spring on me.

The problem is, $21k is a ton of money, $10k more than I've ever spent on a vehicle, and more money than I've ever spent on anything except my house. Doesn't matter that it's the coolest thing in the world, a ton of money is still a ton of money. The "debt economy" is not one I want to enter (again, house aside), so it'll probably be a while.

So, all that said, is there anyone near Seattle with a Bandito? Want to meet up and let me drool a little bit? Big Grin
Dar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
I have to say that you demonstrate excellent taste in your desire for a Bandito. Well, I have to say that because it coincides with my taste. I bought one from Dave Hannigan last year - my first sidecar rig - and I am very happy with my decision. I was at Maggie Valley last week with a bunch of other contributers to this forum and had a blast, even though I was definitely the slowest guy there in the twisties. But that was ME that was slow, not the rig, this was my first excursion on these tight mountain roads with 3 wheels, and I'm still learning how to ride it. Some of those guys are really FAST.

Keep in mind that if you could find a used Bandit cheap, even one with some front end damage - the front forks and wheel are replaced for the Bandito anyway- you could get a Bandito for a lot less than the $21K.

I'm not in the Seattle area, but if you ever make it out East, get in touch and I'll let you drool all you want, as long as it's raining to wash it off.
IanJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think that hasn't occurred to me... I've already spotted a number of excellent looking 1200 Bandits on Craigslist for under $5k. Even so, $17k is still a lot of money, but it'd be easier if I could break it up into several purchases -- less psychically draining, if you see what I mean.

I think it's all going to have to wait. I'm probably moving in the next year or so, and that's got to be my financial focus.
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there.
Buddies
Nothing pays off like perseverance.
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/bikes/hooligan_hack.htm

I know it isn't the genuine Hannigan Bandito, but it's a nice forerunner to the concept. I've seen this one for sale for a while now on various sites.. he started off at like $12,000.00 USD.. last time i saw it for sale it was below $7,000.00 .. it may be sold now.

A Hannigan Bandito is Top Shelf. With Top Shelf pricing. Would you be too proud to peruse the bargain bin, to see what other alternatives there may be? Big Grin
IanJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not too proud, but if I'm just going to get another rig with a relatively conventional front end (in particular), I'd rather just stick with the Goldwing I've already got. Granted, it's no Bandit, but I already own it, it's got leading link forks, I already own it, and I already own it.

What I like about the Bandito is not so much the Suzuki Bandit part of it. It's the cool front end, and the swaybar, and all the little things that take it from being a high-powered sidecar rig to a high-performance sidecar rig. That's what I'm lusting after, not really getting a hotter/more modern bike.

Actually, if I could get a CHS front end on a smaller bike/rig, that would please me just as much as having a fire-breathing Bandit. The Bandit/Bandito is just the combo that happens to exist which rolls it all into one lovely package.
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanJ wrote:
Actually, if I could get a CHS front end on a smaller bike/rig, that would please me just as much as having a fire-breathing Bandit.

"Fire breathing Bandit"? Only if you visit someone like these guys:

http://www.bigccracing.com/welcome.asp?page=38

Now, 200 horsepower in a Bandito WOULD be fire-breathing!!
IanJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, compared to the GL1100 I currently have, or the Ninja 250 that's my normal solo bike....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: