An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tires
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
Were you saying you did get 12,000 miles out of the first tire? What brand and size was it?

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TimKillmeyer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swaybar2002 wrote:
Tim,
Were you saying you did get 12,000 miles out of the first tire? What brand and size was it?

It was one of those Michelin ENERGY tires that are no longer made in my size (185-55-15), AFAIK. Or, maybe it's strictly a European tire that Armec brings in with the rest of their stuff when they put together a rig, but I couldn't find it here. (I'd be afraid to call ARMEC and ask them to give me a price on one! Shocked )
According to Tire Rack the only car that uses that uses a 185-55-15 is a Toyota MR2 Spyder. Maybe that size is more popular in Europe?

It had 2500 miles on it when I bought the bike and I put another 8500 miles on it, so it's actually "only" 11,000 miles. The front tire is the same make and looks absolutely great. (Hmmm, maybe I should've thrown that on on the back. Question ) The sidecar tire is a 185-55-14 Dunlop SPORT 2000 (made in Germany). IMO, the tread is only about half gone. Tire Rack only offers a KUMHO in that size (whcih is a fine tire as far as I'm concerned).

In looking around, it seems that there are many, many more tires offered in the 195-55-15 size at a wide range of prices. If I was putting something together, I would look strongly at that size, or maybe a 195-50.

I was HOPING to get at least 10,000 miles out of a tire. Even with some HP driving. I mean, isn't that supposed to be one of the advantages of using a car tire on ANY rig?

Tim
Ralph

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impatient Get a GRIP fokes Shocked Life and fun is short Confused
docmike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel so bad now.

The original rear tire was a Michelin, lasted about 25,000. After that I went to a Dunlop and got a little less than 8,000. The difference in wear may have something to do with working on my Bat Turns. Laughing

Replaced both the front and rear tires just before MV this year. Went with Chen Sengs (spelling?), they were all my tire guy could find in my size. The original front still had decent tread but was starting to show some cracking on the sidewall.

Sidecar tire is a Michelin with probably about 20,000 on it and will need replaced before long.
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
zentime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: tire pressure Reply with quote

I was watching a program the other day about the car stunt show at Disney's Studios in California where they use specially modified 1000 pound Opals with what I believe are GSXR1300 motors. In the course of the show one of the drivers mentioned how they run 80psi in the tires so the vehicles will slide easily. It makes perfect sense. and if they didn't want them to slide around as much, obviously they would lower the tire pressure.
I think it relates to why so many of us, run low tire pressures.

will August ever come............
Ralph

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought only The Others ran high air pressure so the tars would last longer But Big Grin see below Cool
zentime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph wrote:
I thought only The Others ran high air pressure so the tars would last longer But Big Grin see below Cool

what are tars Question my translator is not with me today Bubba

will August ever come............
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Tires or Tyres, depending what side of the ocea you are on.

Tire=
These verbs mean to cause or undergo depletion of strength, energy, spirit, interest, or patience. Tire often suggests a state resulting from exertion, excess, dullness.

Tyre=
An ancient Phoenician city on the eastern Mediterranean Sea in present-day southern Lebanon. The capital of Phoenicia after the 11th century B.C., it was a flourishing commercial center noted for its purple dyestuffs and rich, silken clothing. Tyre was besieged and captured by Alexander the Great in 332 B.C. and was finally destroyed by Muslims in A.D. 1291.
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
Ralph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you are there to help Bill out Bill Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: