An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not a good project week..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Not a good project week.. Reply with quote

I've been going full bore for the past 4+ months on the sidecar suspension, 24 hr weekends in the garage, 4 hrs night weekdays.. just so focused with blinders on, I did not see the big picture with what i saw going with the stock, bent setup, and what i envisioned, and the mass of changes required. In short, my ambition over-exceeded my present skills, and the limitations of the present setup to be changed, to make work right the *first* time. In short, it's silly to radically change a conventional setup, when simple and nearly as effective will do.

I guess i got my first trophy DNF project to hang on the wall.. that'll teach me to come up for air, once in a while.

I've got a few ideas to continue the project sometime down the road.. The concept i had was sound, i've already got a spare asuna 4x100 spindle assembly and brake rotor to set aside for it, and i had got all of the geometry setup for an effective suspension setup.. on a purpose built flatbed rig perhaps.. but not for the present hannigan touring body.

Bill M. has an excellent photolog up on his site, of his Blackbird / Hannigan speedster combo, with excellent photo's of how he progressively built up the suspension assembly. It's straight-forward enough that i printed off a booklet of laser print photo's (thanks, work Big Grin ) to go talk to the shop i deal with, and see if we could come up with a similar setup on time constraints. They seem to think it's a go, so Bill M, with your permission..

It'll only require boxing in of the fiberglass body on the interior forward, where i've presently stuck a radio console.. Don't really need one..

It's been a rather discouraging week.. but it's not all wasted.. i'm continuing to hone my metal working skills with crude weapons of destruction to a fine art.. Cool
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it.
That's why I posted the pictures.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
When I first started building my rig, I was very intimidated by the amount of work it wold take to complete.
Some very good words of wisdom from a friend were. “You just build need to build it one piece at a time” That remind me of a time....

Some pieces only took a few minutes to build while others took days to build.
I also threw a lot of prototypes components in the barrel.
And I am continuing to try some new Ideas to improve what I have. Thinking

I have learned that simple is often the best way. I would even say that I go out of my way to keep it simple.
I am really enjoying my newfound hobby, and friends.
Stick with it Bill, you’ll get there. Blah Blah Blah
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: