An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gadgets re-visited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Gadgets re-visited Reply with quote

Just bought an Autocom Pro 7 Sport Intercom system for my bike.
For now, I am using it for a GPS and Cell phone.
I plan on adding some sort of music device, walkman or mp3 player.
Looking for Ideas for the installation.
Where is the control mounted?
Where are the accessories mounted?
How are the cables run, and disconnect?
Stuff like that.
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
docmike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get to fancy with my Autocom installation. It and the CD player just sit in the storage area behind the seat.

I did get some din connectors and build a wire loom so I have permanent cable to the side car with plug ins under each side of the seat and a panel mount jack by the accesory socket on the left side of the bike. The other end of the harness ends in the storage area and I just plug in to the autocom leads, this leaves me the option of moving the autocom to a different bike.

When we use the FRS radio with the autocomm it goes in the storage also.

When riding with out a passenger I just drop the CD player/FM radio in my jacket pocket and use http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx isolator earphones. The CD player has big enough buttons that I can work most of the controls through the cloth of the jacket pocket, even with my gloves still on. (This is the only reason I haven't gone to an MP3 player on the bike, all I've looked at so far have tiny buttons.)

If I mess with it any more I'd add an audio plug next to the din plug on the bike so I could plug the CD/FM into the autocomm while its in my pocket.

I also have the cable that allows me to use ER-6 with the Autocomm.

We did have some problems with this setup but have traced it down to two bad connectoins, one from autocomm and one from me (once when having trouble with the electrical system on the R80/7 I was told I had to much book learning to ever be able to figure out anything practical on bike electrics, maybe there's something to that Embarassed.)

Probably more than you wanted.

all caveats apply if using the earphones,

Mike
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
IanJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put together a fairly complex Autocom setup on my Moto Guzzi, which involved a waterproof aluminum enclosure mounted under the luggage rack, about $300 in military-spec 1/4 turn locking connctors, and a crapload of time. It worked well, but eventually developed a fault inside the box, with a connection to the two-way radio (a Yaesu FT-90, which is an amateur transceiver). I keep thinking about resurrecting the system sans radio, since I never really used the transciever.

Anyway, absurd complexities aside, I basically had the Autocom mounted semi-permanently to the bike, and had drilled holes in the inner fairing where I mounted 1/8" jacks to take in cellphone and stereo sources. The system worked quite well. On the downside, I also found I wasn't using it all that often, and the headset pressed on my ears inside the helmet, so I eventually took it all apart.

If I carried passengers in the chair very often, I'd reinstall the system on my rig, but it seems like most of the time I'm just carrying myself and some inert, uninteresting stuff. Not too much conversation out of a load of Costco food. Big Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: