An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

swaybar questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irondad01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: swaybar questions Reply with quote

I need to put a swaybar on my Triumph Tiger/Sputnik rig. I've riden it two summers now without one but with the long travel suspension I know it would make a huge difference. When I turn right the bike leans left. First question, if I use 5/8 4130 and bend it cold how important is heat treating? Without treating would it just twist out of shape after a few bumps? Second, I can run the bar over the sidecar frame under the body. The normal way puts the brackets under the frame. Will they work on top or are they too thin? Is there a lot of upward pressure? I can make something heavier or fab. a loop to use the regular brackets the way they normally go. If I'm talking like a madman don't be shy, let me know where I'm going wrong. Thanks guys. Carl
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carl,
Did you check out this topic on this forum?
http://hpsidecars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12&highlight=swaybar
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
irondad01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Yes I saw your post. It was very helpful and is where I got the idea about bending cold. My main question is about heat treating. Why is it needed? Isn't the chrome moly springy enough without it? I never messed that material before. Thanks, Carl
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat treating made a huge difference. When I got mine back from heat treating, it had distorted slightly.
I tried to straighten it out. Need less to say it is still distorted and works great.
If you were going to try to use one with out heat treating, I would use a larger diameter.
I don’t think that 5/8 diameter would be springy enough.
Not sure how large you would need to go to achieve the same results.
Trial and error method.
If it was my dollar, I would use the 5/8 and have it heat treated.
Motorcycle Happy
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
docmike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly just want to agree with what Bill said. I cold bent my bar and had it heat treated. It did distort a little when treated and afterwards I could not bend it. If its not treated I think it would just bend.

My original plan was to run the bar between the sidecar body and frame, but ended up going underneath, just wasn't quite enough room. Functionally I don't see where it would matter top or bottom.

It took a little calling around to find a shop with a big enough oven to do the swaybar.

all caveats apply, to paraphrase Ralph, what do I know,,,,,I work for the governement,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Big Grin

Mike
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My swaybar is using 3/4" 4130, with 1/4"x1 1 1/4"x15" arms welded in place and heat treated as per Bill Ballou's suggested instructions on the AOL sidebike99 website. Once heat treated, it appears to hold tensile strength quite well - I don't think my swaybar would have survived the suspension hit it took otherwise in my early summer accident, which bent up the sidecar suspension itself quite badly.

I've underslung the swaybar itself under the sidecar frame using bearing block ends, rather than the more common eurethane bushing method.. i subscribed firmly to the 'when in doubt build it stout' school of design when it went together.

I've got more photo's up of the swaybar buildup on http://home.cogeco.ca/~wstrong/index7.html if you are interested.

I hope to be able to recycle most if not all of my swaybar setup for the new suspension design -- it's going to be tight and tough to adapt to a totally different system.
irondad01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys . I'll go with the heat treatment. I was totally dumb on the subject so I thought I'd ask someone who's been there done that.Carl
irondad01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my 5/8 4130,rod ends,and split collars from McMaster Carr yesterday 12-29-05 at about 10:50 am and when I got home at 6:00 pm today 12-30-05 the order was on my doorstep! Now I need my bushings and I can get busy building. Carl
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.
Under Construction
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: