An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front brake question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Front brake question Reply with quote

Okay don't laugh....
Has anyone ever seen the front brake caliper mounted on the left side of the front wheel , away from the swingarm?
Any real downside to this?
Claude, havin fun in the shop...LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHS?
Question
Would stick out pretty far, be careful when walking by. Big Grin

Are you running out of room in the right side?
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
docmike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it would definitely be out in the airstream for cooling.

The first thought is if having the weight of the disk that far from the steering axis would have any effect on steering? Question But then I've seen several pictures of rigs with the brake rotor off to the right of the wheel so it may not matter.

Thinking Maybe you could have one on each side, to balance things out???
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmcsheehy wrote:
CHS?
Question
Would stick out pretty far, be careful when walking by. Big Grin

Are you running out of room in the right side?

Not really out of room but things are really close. I wanted to run a larger rotor and with shooting for the true center hub deal it is not going to work out. Also the idea of building in lateral ball joint adjustment from the wheel side to be able to play with the scrub radius is not going to work due to spacing.
So, lose the ball joint adjustment, go to a smaller disc and maintain true center hub with very little clearance...or...go to regular center hub steering relying on the steering axis inclination being correct for the diamerter tire being used...or...hang the brake and rotor off the left of the wheel with the big rotor and have tons of clearance for true center hub and the adjustable ball joints.
Decisions Decisions Smile

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Inboard? Reply with quote

Hanging the rotor outboard is easy. But, hanging the caliper out there is hard - especially if you don't want it to bend. It would make changing tires interesting, to say the least.

I'd consider doing it inboard instead. You'd have the air flow advantages, and there are lots of ways to mount calipers.

Or, simply go to a larger wheel. 18 and 19 inch car wheels are common, and 20 inch use is growing. That should give enough clearance for just about any disk you want to run.
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Inboard? Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Hanging the rotor outboard is easy. But, hanging the caliper out there is hard - especially if you don't want it to bend. It would make changing tires interesting, to say the least.

I'd consider doing it inboard instead. You'd have the air flow advantages, and there are lots of ways to mount calipers.

Or, simply go to a larger wheel. 18 and 19 inch car wheels are common, and 20 inch use is growing. That should give enough clearance for just about any disk you want to run.

Thanks Paul. Good comments.Mounting the caliper is pretty much figured out. I think I am going to follow through with it just to be different. There is more to it with the things I want to try than just clearances. We'll see what happens. If it doesn't work there will be some new 'conversation pieces' on the shop wall Smile

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: