An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HEIM ENDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: HEIM ENDS Reply with quote

I see numerous applications on rigs using heim ends (rod ends , whatever you want to call them). Just wondering what kind of longevity are you all getting out of them in various applications, mainly in steering linkages. Question
I am planning to use tie rod ends in some places but the heim ends are sure a lot less effort to adapt.
Any and all input is appreciated,

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
zentime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place I'm using them is on the swaybar. If you use them in the steering linkage, I'd recommend you buy some of the after-market seals for them. I saw them once but don't recall where. I prefer tierod ends for steering linkage because they're pre loaded to keep the play out and sealed to keep the dirt out.

will August ever come............
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: heim on sway bar Reply with quote

So why not use tie rod ends on the sway bar? The ends are right down next to the pavement, where you could really use some seals. I guess some extra play there isn't as bad as in the steering, though...
zentime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: heim on sway bar Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
I guess some extra play there isn't as bad as in the steering, though...

exactly

will August ever come............
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote (speaking of heim ends):
>>If you use them in the steering linkage, I'd recommend you buy some of the after-market seals for them. I saw them once but don't recall where. <<
They are available at either sppedwaymotors.com or stockcarproducts.com....maybe both.
For the record I am using tie rod ends for the steering. Heim ends are being used on the swaybar and the front torsion bar hookup. The torsion bar hookup may be changed later on though. I also have a couple of mounts with heim ends on them but they are not anything that moves.
Heims were,and are, used almost exclusively on the race cars but are replaced often. If anyone wants a source for decent used heims follow a racer around Smile

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: